In January, the winners of 43North’s seventh annual startup competition began to settle into their new workspaces inside the Seneca One in downtown Buffalo. While some of these companies were already local to western New York, others relocated to the Queen City from across the country and even overseas.
Since then, they’ve hit the ground running – and with significant new funding under their belts, they’ve made hiring a top priority.
“If you’re looking to get in on the ground floor of a rapidly growing business, now is a great time to make a move,” says Chad Witherell, recruiter for Forge Buffalo, the area’s go-to talent hub for startup jobs. “From sales and marketing, to operations and product development, we’re looking to fill a wide range of roles.”
Witherell has been working closely to find and secure top talent for 43North’s newest cohort, already landing critical hires for BetterMynd, Big Wheelbarrow, ShearShare, and Zealot Interactive and actively recruiting for dozens of other key positions.
“The assistance from Forge and 43North to help uncover great talent has truly surpassed our expectations,” says, Courtney Caldwell, Cofounder & COO of ShearShare. “Within the first month of landing in Buffalo, we hired four local team members, including our CTO and Head of Revenue Operations! Job openings that had gone unfulfilled for years are now staffed with remarkable talent. We’re proud to say that our Buffalo office now accounts for almost half of the entire ShearShare team!”
You can read more about each of the newest 43North portfolio companies below.
- BetterMynd is an online therapy platform for college students. BetterMynd partners directly with colleges to give their students access to its diverse network of licensed mental health counselors from the privacy and convenience of their laptops and mobile devices.
- Big Wheelbarrow is a SaaS company that enables food distributors and grocery chains to create and maintain decentralized supply chains in order to meet consumer demand for local food profitably, efficiently, and safely.
- FLOX’s machine vision technology enables welfare-first farming, allowing poultry farm owners to improve chicken health and wellbeing while operating more ethically, profitably, and sustainably.
- Infiuss Health powers remote research/clinical trials with its SaaS platform, connecting clinical researchers in the United States and European Union to patient participants in Africa.
- ShearShare is a B2B mobile marketplace that monetizes underutilized assets in the haircutting and styling industry, starting with space to work. Licensed stylists can use ShearShare to access pay-as-you-go workspaces across 800 cities with no contracts or commission, allowing salon, spa, and barbershop owners to turn their empty space into extra dollars.
- Top Seedz produces artisan crackers and roasted seeds packed with nutrition and flavor using the simplest ingredients that nature provides.
- Verivend offers the quickest way available to pay and get paid, allowing businesses to transact with all customers and vendors and a digital wallet powering instant B2B and B2C payments.
- Zealot Interactive’s app is the best way to learn guitar, offering augmented reality video lessons for real-life musical instruments paired with state-of-the-art hardware.
Buffalo’s entrepreneurial spirit is certainly alive and well. If you’re ready to join our city in building something big, get your resume ready and head over to forgebuffalo.com/jobs for a full list of opportunities with the region’s hottest startups.